Organization: The Los Altos History Museum, located south of San Francisco on the Peninsula, operates a museum complex including a historic 1905 house and a modern 3-story museum. We feature 3-6 changing exhibits a year, in addition to several permanent history exhibits. The museum is blessed with a professional staff, a dedicated board, and a strong volunteer network. We program many lectures, activities, and special events throughout the year. The annual budget of approx. $500,000 is funded by individual donations, special events, grants, bequests, membership, an active rental events program and gift store. See our web page for more information.
Job Description: One of a small professional staff, the bookkeeper/accountant maintains the Museum’s financial records. The position is non-exempt (hourly) and reports to the Executive Director. They also work with the Treasurer, Finance Committee and other volunteers as needed to ensure appropriate financial practice.
- Receives, records, and banks cash, checks and vouchers.
- Checks figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Classifies, records, and summarizes numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using online journals and ledgers.
- Debits, credits, and totals accounts.
- Complies with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Compiles statistical, financial, accounting, or auditing reports and tables of cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses, monthly and as requested.
- Reconciles bank statements monthly and reports discrepancies found in records.
- Troubleshoots problems, including research of pertinent facts and interacts with appropriate staff to achieve resolution.
- Coordinates year-end financial transfer and closing activity.
- Coordinates purchasing activities and interfaces with vendors as required.
Budgeting & Oversight
- Working with the Executive Director: Assists in planning of short and long term budgets by compiling and organizing data for use in forecasts. Administers assigned budget(s). Analyzes current performance to plan.
- Monitors actual income and expense and develops projections in order to authorize or extend financial commitments.
- Identifies and researches variances and trends and brings to attention of supervisor for discussion and resolution.
- Monitors grant account activity and balances to ensure adherence to agency restrictions.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- General office and bookkeeping knowledge
- Math and reasoning
- Strong financial ethics
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Problem solving
- Active listening
- Judgment, decision-making
Ability to work effectively in a multi-faceted work environment with numerous simultaneous requirements. A professional, poised, and efficient manner for working with the public, volunteers and staff; excellent people skills a must. Experience in Quickbooks Online, Excel, Word required; experience with PastPerfect a plus. B.A. preferred.
Pay Range: $25-35/hour, DOE. 8-20 hours/week; hours flexible, but must be regular.
Desired Education: BA.
Contact E-mail: Eward@losaltoshistory.org
To Apply: Please email your cover letter, resume, applicable work samples and any additional support materials to Elisabeth Ward, Executive Director at eward@LosAltosHistory.org.
Download a copy of the job posting here
The Los Altos History Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.